Friday, October 3, 2008

Creativity & Spinning and Weaving Week

I was reading a recent article in The New York Times called We’ll Fill This Space, but First a Nap. I want to first quote a piece of it so you know what I'm talking about.

Dr. Ellenbogen’s research at Harvard indicates that if an incubation period includes sleep, people are 33 percent more likely to infer connections among distantly related ideas, and yet, as he puts it, these performance enhancements exist “completely beneath the radar screen.” In other words, people are more creative after sleep, but they don’t know it.


Now I have to say I can't agree more. When you are so tired from running and doing for everyone including you it just saps your creativity. There have been a few times where after a good solid sleep I was able to sort out a problem I was having with a pattern or been able to come up with something new.

I encourage you to get some good sleep and boost your creativity. You never know what gorgeous designs await when you wake. Yes, it's simple and it's something you probably know already but when is the last time you really acted on it?

Now for all you spinners and weavers out there. Boogie on over to the Handweavers Guild of America for lots of ideas to celebrate Spinning and Weaving Week [Oct 4th to the 10th]. Just click the picture below to get there. Look for the same picture on the linked page and click it to get their free pdf download of the poster size for you club or group to help spread the word.

No comments: